Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 10

Since we don't have a crib, we pushed the kid's two twin beds together and against a wall.  Alejandro sleeps closest to the wall, so he doesn't fall off the bed.  I have been helping him fall asleep by laying in the bed next to him until he is out.  I know the surroundings must be frightening to him.  Annalise has been too sick to sleep next to him and needed night-time attention.  So, he's gotten used to me being next to him as he falls asleep.  Last night was no different.

After I had left him sleeping and was in the living room/dining room/kitchen on the computer, I heard him wimpering.  I gave it a few minutes to see if he would fall back asleep.  When I went in to check on him, he had moved from his bed to the bed I normally lay on, with his face on the mattress wimpering, "Mama, mama".  Oh, just rip my heart out with a wooden spoon, won't you?  I gave him a hug, reassured him, placed him back on his bed and laid next to him again rubbing his back.  He likes that for a few minutes, then does the check-swing thing.  Then, he reaches his tiny little hand to mine and holds it until he falls asleep.  Aaaaaaawwwwe. 

The parade that had gone by yesterday had about twenty youth dancing to folkloric music.  In front and behind them were the national flags.  They were followed by a truck with large speakers in the back playing the music.  We had fun watching them from the window.  Annalise then practiced her best Ecuadorian folkloric dance routine.  She's feeling much better and thanks to all of you who have written to wish us better health.  Zithromax rocks.  She'll be back to school tomorrow.  I'll just ask that she be kept inside and away from PE class.  The weather is so nice, that they hold the class outdoors.  The breezes make Annie go into coughing fits though, so we're staying clear of that for the time being.  The doctor said she'd have the cough for the better part of the next two weeks.

Alejandro awoke with a slight cough today.  Bummer.  I have now enterred the world that many of my friends already know.  Once one kid gets sick, the other gets sick too.  Call me a late bloomer.  I already know that the minute he gets a fever, I need to call the social worker to have him seen by a doctor ASAP.  They have their own doctor that sees the children.  She told me they take the children to be seen immediately if they have a cold, followed by a fever, and don't wait.  I, of course, don't want to give even the slightest hint of negligence, so if he gets a fever, it's off to the doctor we go.  So far, so good.  Yet another home remedy was recommended...they have one for everything.  I guess your average person can't afford to go to the doctor so they try all these remedies first.  I'm sure some are quite good.  My own culture has many, but having grown up in New York City and not Puerto Rico, I am not privy to them.  This one was one garlic clove boiled in milk, with raisins and brown sugar to cover the taste.  So long as it doesn't sound harmful to me, I'll go along.  He drank it right up.  My five year old has much to learn from him. 

Lunch and Dinner times are quite the guessing game nowadays.  "I wonder if he'll like this?"  Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.  I take it when he spits something right out, it means a firm, "No".  This part isn't fun.  I don't get to ease into this part like I did with Annie, trying one new thing at a time.  Let's see, besides his homeland foods that I have learned to make, fresh chicken is a yes, but chicken nuggets are a "No".  Likes fresh fish but hotdogs earn a "what are you crazy?" look on his face.  Smart kid.  No crappy processed foods.  A genius!  Now if only I could wean the five year old off of that junk. 

Annie and I are having a hard time because we love salads.  Green leafys, mmm-mmmm.  Can't have them here.  At least, I haven't figured out if that's what did me in even though I soaked stuff four times as long as recommended with some fancy vegetable disinfecting wash stuff.  I'm going to miss salads.  I have to figure that out. 

Other than meal time, the little guy had a good day.  Jim had to go to do some work at a cafe.  This place is too small for him to hide to work.  The kids obviously missed him all day, despite my best efforts.  I feel bad about it.  I do a good chopped liver immitation.  Jim came home to give me a little break to go food shopping, child-free.  Doesn't sound like much, but it helps. 

Bed time went without a hitch.  I told Alejandro several times that he would be sleeping with Annie instead of Mommy.  He protested a little once the time came, but did fine.  Annie said she would sleep on his bed with him to keep him company and keep him from being scared.  She's so special.  A very giving child with a warm heart.  Sounds familiar.

Goodnight,
Love, Lisandra.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.