To say that it's been a challenge to keep up online would be the understatement of the century. We write this blog as much for ourselves, as for our friends and families. It helps us to keep a journal of our time here and our early days with Alejandro, as well as keeps us in contact with everyone else we hold dear and important.
Our internet connection, via WiFi is barely faster than dial-up. It's this way throughout the city, anywhere we go. There are internet cafes everywhere. Small hole in the wall places with computers set up, and phone booths for calls. I can't exactly go trecking in there with two kids. I'd never get anything accomplished. Jim can't exactly hold his work conference calls there, he would have no privacy. In addition, in speaking English out loud would certainly peg him as American, and possibly invite trouble. Instead he has been going to a popular cafe/hostal about a mile's walk away that has mostly foreigners, to do his work. The connection there is not much better, and his work calls are frequently dropped. We Skype as much as we can, to keep international phone call costs down.
As for me, I mostly get online at night after Jim is done with his work. That's if we can get a connection. Today, Saturday, I tried to buy something online that I really need and can't find locally. After an hour, I finally gave up. Who has time for that??? I don't know how Jim does it. I would have gone batshit by now.
So, I left off where we were at Ossitos last Wednesday to sign custody papers. Alejandro develops a fever while we are there. Just what we needed. They gave him to us well, and now we return a week later with him sick. They gave me some children's anti-pyretic that I don't recognize, but they use regularly. We came back home. Little guy took a nap and the fever was back after 4 hours. A URI, courtesy of his sister. By the next day, he wasn't better, so we called our trusty little house-call doctor again. He just has an ear infection. We all decided to go ahead and treat it, since the doctor understands the position we are in in keeping him well. One dose of amoxicillin later, a new little guy.
Friday was the first day I have been able to venture out to explore the city a little. Once Annie was off to school, Jim, Alejandro and I went to Jim's favorite little hangout, El Cafecito, and had a marvelous breakfast. It's a good thing it's about a mile walk through heavy car traffic, narrow cobblestone streets, or I would have breakfast there every morning. Not good for the waistline! Alejandro ate more than I did. He's obviously feeling better. My favorite part of the breakfast was fresh watermellon-papaya juice. Mmmmm. The coffee was crazy strong. I love strong coffee, but this was too much, even for me. No amount of milk changed the color of the coffee. Next time I'll ask for about an inch-worth of coffee, and then add the milk.
Jim stayed behind and Alejandro and I left to find the post office. Not an easy thing to do. There is only one post office in the entire city of 467,000 people! I needed to mail something back to work. They have no idea what I had to go through to mail that back. Geeze. I know how to find it next time, though!
I then had a leasurely rest of the morning, pushing Alejandro in his stroller. He loves it! I guess he's so enthralled at all the new sites and smells, that he hasn't protested yet. We found markets, bakeries, parks and a parade. I wonder if he'd ever seen a parade before? We made it back home in time for his nap. I was pooped out. Annie would be home in 45 minutes from school. I dare say my face got sunburned for the mid-70's weather. Sorry northeast-coasters!
We've been worried that Alejandro would fall off the bed at night, even though his bed is against the wall. He in fact, has already fallen off twice during the day. It scared him more than anything. He wasn't hurt, but we finally figured out to put the kids mattresses on the floor. Much shorter way to fall off. Now, we can all get some sleep because both Jim and I were sleeping poorly so we could keep checking on him. Annalise doesn't fall off the bed, but she wants to sleep right next to her brother. The apartment staff doesn't seem to mind. They are great about looking after the children in the complex. One day, while Dragon Lady was here, Annalise was outside and started screaming. She apparently saw a bug that was ten feet tall and was about to eat her...no not really, but you'd think so with all her screaming. All the staff and a grandmother that lives downstairs came out to see if she was OK. The owner, Lola, told Annalise to call her Auntie and to go to her for anything she needs. Very sweet. Just what you need when you are away from home.
Today, Saturday, we woke up early due to our two little alarm clocks. We went back to El Cafecito for breakfast and a walk in their garden. We found mint, oregano and lavender. Annalise was unfortunately not on her best behavior. Another thing to work on while we're out here. She's taken to back-talking me all the time. This isn't new. It started when we were back home. She's having a hard lesson to learn, because I'm not having it. Let's see...no cartoons, no outside play...torturous for her. Works like a charm.
Aftrer breakfast we went to a park called Parque de la Madre, Mother's Park. It has a running path around it, and playground equipment. I cringe everytime Annalise gets on the swings, slide or see-saw. The ground below is full of large rocks. My gray hairs have definitely multiplied. We discoverred the local mall, Millenium Mall. It's small but as up-to-date as a mall can be. Nothing that fits our needs except a food court, and well, we Knotts' love food.
We're home now. Baby boy is napping. Big boy is napping. Annalise had some quiet time with a video, then we did homework. I'm so glad her USA teacher sent along some work for her. She doesn't get much homework here. She wrote in her school journal. She drew a picture and wrote about a "cholita", a tradtional Cuenca girl that wears very colorful clothing,.
Tomorrow we might try to find the outdoor produce market that opens Sunday mornings in Parque del Paraiso, Paradise Park. Or, we might just go to the nearby town of Banos, Baths. It has thermal water sites, and hotels channel the waters into the pools. I think the kids would love that.
Bye for now!
Lisandra.
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.