Looooooong walk to the post office today, to find out they closed for lunch. It was definitely longer than an mile and a half. I walked around with Alejandro for 45 minutes until they were due to open and picked up a few surprises for Annalise on the way. Back at the post office I waited another 45 minutes until they ACTUALLY openned. This is the only post office in the entire city of over 450,000 people.
We bumped into some of the OSSO volunteers there. They first recognized Alejandro and called him by name. He went from being happy, funny and giggly to very withdrawn when they were cooing over him. I think I just got a glimpse of what our initial time will be like once home in the states. Right after they left, he resumed his happy, funny and giggly self. Now I understand better why it's recommended to stay home and avoid friends and family for about a month after we return home. A good friend told me to expect some regression then too.
At the post office, another friend was great to send me what I needed for the kids, and was so sweet to add some additional goodies for them. I'm so lucky. We took a cab back to the apartment because Alejandro had been very well behaved so far. But, it was past lunch and nap time and I was living on borrowed time. Back home, our yummy delivered lunch was waiting for us. The staff had taken it up to our apartment for me. Lunch. Nap for baby. Annie gets home and gets to enjoy all her goodies from the day. Homework, then playtime.
Today was our first skype call from daddy. The kids have done super with his return back home so far. I'm expecting a melt-down from both of them sometime, though. The best part of my day today was our skype call. Grandma joined in and it was nice to see Jim to be happy home and near his parents. We all miss them very much.
Annalise was more interested in her new...ahem...$1 "unofficial" copy of Barbie and the Three Muskateers. Just one of her surprise goodies today. And, for the record, my friend did NOT send it to me.
Ok, back to the skype call and best part of my day. Jim is on the video screen and Alejandro comes running to the computer. He loves skype calls. Grandma joins Jim and I tell him, "Abuela". He repeats, "Lela" and kisses the screen. I love it!!! He kisses Lela and Daddy over and over again. Aaaaawwwwe. We all had so much fun with that. He was very kissy this evening. He kisses my hand occasionally, like a little gentleman. So sweet. It makes up for the difficult times.
An hour after bedtime Alejandro was still awake in bed when I went in to smooch them both. I wonder what goes through his mind when he lays there quietly. I laid with him a while, holding hands, smooching, staring at his big beautiful brown eyes and carressing him. I don't know how much of that he's had in his life. I'm so glad I get to do it now. He's so worth this terrible ordeal we have been through the last 16 months, and especially the last five weeks.
Warm hearts, smooches and snuggles. Oddly, for some reason it reminds me that I really miss our church.
Goodnight.
Love, Lisandra.
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.