Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 26, Court day to verify signatures- And The Fun Begins...

Ok. That did not go as smoothly as it could have. Unfortunately, Jim's and my signatures on our passports did not exactly match our signatures on all the paperwork we have done thus far. Let me 'splain...We were told to sign paperwork as our names are typed. Thus, Christopher James Knotts and Lisandra Rojas-Knotts. HOWEVER...our day to day signatures are abbreviated, i.e. Christopher J. Knotts and LR Knotts Who wants to sign those long names all the time. Sooooooo, this was almost a no-go, because signatures did not match our supporting documents. Who knew? That irritated the judge.

Then...he asked me a question and I answered. Simple enough. Then he asked Jim question. Now let me say that Jim speaks a fair amount of Spanish, more than he gives himself credit for. HOWEVER, the judge spoke too fast and Jim did not understand, so I proceded to translate. OOOOHHHH NOOOOO! Apparently he was trying to figure out how fluent we both were in Spanish and by my translating, I was totally out of line. WELL EXCUSE THE HELL OUT OF ME FOR TRYING TO BE HELPFUL, LIKE I WAS SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT THE $#@! HE WAS DOING! The judge then was very nasty to me, even our attorney was taken by surprise. Oh, and this is supposed to be the lenient judge that she favors. Holy hell, thank goodness we didn't get any of the others.

Well, from then on, I think he had to ask me questions twice, because I was never sure when I was supposed to speak and when not. He's irritated we will need a translator for Jim. This is a surprise to a judge? Grrrrrrrrrrr. Hello??? We''re....ummmmm....American?

That did not go smoothly. We were hoping for an audience with the judge by Friday, no chance. Our attorney already asked. This adds another week to our stay. Oh goodie.

Thank God for little smiles, dimples and giggles that melt your heart.  Mmmmmm. :-)

Love,

Lisandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.