Friday, February 19, 2010


Took my little guy to receive the rest of his two-year old immunizations this morning. He immediately recognized the grounds of the children's home when we enterred the gates and started to whimper. I'm not sure why. It seemed like a sad whimper like he didn't want to be there, but then he saw the grounds keeper, a man who takes wonderful care of the grounds as well as the facility and staff. Alejandro was happy to see him. He was especially happy to see the social worker that he has known all his life. He led her to her office where apparently he always likes to look up at the mountains. Then he turned around and waved at me and said, "Ciao". The little stinker! He thought that was funny.
We walked a couple of blocks on the main street to a doctor who sees the children from the homes when needed. Her normal office visit costs $30 but only charges OSSO $3 for their visits. That is so awesome! He took the checkup like a champ. She didn't charge us because she was so glad to see one of the children find a forever family. He's managed to gain some weight while he has been with us, even though I don't feel he eats up to his previous quantities. Obviously, it's enough!

We then took a taxi to the health office for immunizations and there were no less than thirty or so families waiting to be seen. Again, the office knows the social workers from the children's homes well and agreed to help us out, and pass us through. Once again, they were so happy to see one of the children with a new mommy, that they were thrilled to let us go ahead of everyone else. They answered all my questions about his immunization status so I can relay the information and documentation to the pediatrician at home accurately. He took one shot like a champ. The second really hurt bad...yellow fever. I told them that one isn't required in the states and asked if we could skip it, but they said it will be required to leave the country. Poor little guy!
We were able to get a flight to Quito in the afternoon and our rep helped us with a recommendation of a place to stay. It's technically a hostal but if it is, it's the nicest hostal I've ever seen. More of a hotel. Looks like it dates back to the 1920's. Great old pics of the city in the hallways from the turn of the century. I always love looking at pictures like those.

Poor little guy started not feeling well during dinner. We can only assume that given he received his shots today and by the way he was crying insessantly. He especially cried when his bottom was touched or he was made to sit down. We figured it out. He's hard to figure out sometimes given that he doesnt' yet have much of a vocabulary. We're working on that. He uses a couple of signs we have taught him in the meantime, the most important one being "bathroom". I couldn't get him to say yes or no to whether or not he was in pain. He just cried. Jim and I felt bad that we hadn't figured it out sooner. I had given him a dose of children's motrin after his shots, but he was due another dose.

We just came back to the hotel, rather than go out for the early evening. We held and rocked him, gave him a juice he had wanted throughout dinner and then I laid with him until he fell asleep. Hopefully he will feel much better tomorrow.
Annie said the greatest thing today, she said, "I thought I would be jealous of my new baby brother but I'm not, I just love him so much." The wisdom of a five year old.
Love, Lisandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.