"Step awaaaaaaayyy from the food!" Yes, he can't verbalize it, but that's what his little arm "check swing" means when you try to help him with it. He's very independent and wants to do for himself, especially with feeding. Also, he's used to some of the kids that he lived with reaching into his bowl. They're toddlers. They do that. I noticed in the children's home, when this happened, he wouldn't even look up. He just kept to business, with his eyes on his food and gave that little check swing. He's doing that much less here now. I hope he's realizing that there is no longer a need to protect his food, or anything else for that matter.
Now I don't want to give the impression that the kids didn't get enough to eat. On the contrary. They are fed very well. They have a typical hot chocolate and bread in the morning. A mid-morning snack, "papilla", that consists of fruit with yogurt or a drink called "colada" that I learned to prepare. I didn't want to change his diet drastically too soon. The colada is a flavored corn starch drink made with milk and water. It has LOADS of vitamins. I can see that this is how they supplement vitamins and milk. They make a big deal about his drinking his warm colada in the morning and afternoon. Then lunch is the biggest meal of the day in Ecuador. The kid's meals are quite healthy, made of soups and stocks from vegetables, legumes and meats or fish, flavored with mild herbs and spices. A mid-afternoon snack of fruit. I saw bananas, strawberries and apples when I was there. I didn't observe them eat dinner. But, I imagine it was quite healthy too. The kids are all quite robust and rosey cheeked.
On that note, let me just say how impressed I was at how much they follow hygiene there. This from the self professed clean freak. The kids were all kept clean. I even took note of the other children that were in different areas when we came across them, which was frequently. Their diapers were changed often. Their hands were washed before foods and their teeth were brushed after all major meals. I helped with that in Alejandro's house, and all the children had beautiful teeth. He reminds me of that all the time. He leads me to the bathroom towards his new Sponge Bob toothbrush after our meals. We taught him how to rinse his mouth with water and spit it out. He gives a big grin after doing so. He's so proud of himself.
The kids were bathed every day after morning snack, and their clothing changed. After dinner, they were changed again into footie pajamas, which interestingly, they put on backwards. I guess the toddlers pull eachother's zippers down when they're in the front. They looked like a bunch of cute little bunnies. I couldn't resist wanting to snuggle them up. Alejandro must think I'm doing it wrong, since his zipper is always in the front.
.............................
"Butt". That's my baby's first English word. Sigh. Sad but true. Jim was tickling Annie and said something about biting her bootie. She said, "Not my butt!" And he repeated, "Butt". Oh joy.
He loves the busses that zoom by outside. Everytime he hears one, he yells "Bu". No "T" at the end, thank goodness.
We keep hearing booms outside. I'm told that there are celebrations by churches for their Saints and that the celebrations include lighting fire works. It has to do with Carnavale coming up. So far, I'm told that Carnavale is not much more than a bunch of idiots throwing water balloons at strangers, and that it can get out of hand. Going to have to research that one some more. I don't know anything more about it, other than government offices will be closed and my process will extended by one week because of that. Gee, thanks.
Jim is dying to be back at work. Not that he doesn't think this is utterly important. But there are many pressing things that require his presence and attention there, and it is quite a hardship for him to be away so long. Some people just don't understand, or choose not to understand, that his family is important too. That in serving other people's family, his has needs too. And Alejandro is Family, with a capital "F". Others think that he is off on a joyride vacation. Seriously?!?! This is sooooo not! If we had been able to, we would have gladly picked him up and left back home. That's not an option. We are at the mercy of the Ecuadorian government and it's agencies as to when we could come and how long we must stay. Our process started long before his position. Were we supposed to just walk away from our child? Give me a break. Thankfully, there are those that understand and are stepping up to help fill in the gaps while he is gone.
Enough venting. Those of you who know me well, know I tell it like it is. Like it or not. It has gotten me in trouble over the years, especially in the military but at least I can always say my conscience is clear.
On a lighter note, we saw a small parade outside our window today...baby's crying...have to go. Will pick up again tomorrow.
Love,
Lisandra
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.