After dropping Annie off at school, we go to Ossitos (the local name for the home). Alejandro is definitely happy to see us. He gives me a hug and is off the play, like a typical two year old. He goes back and forth as to who he prefers, mommy or daddy. Sometimes, ok, frequently, neither.
The social worker arrives, and says it's best to go today. The tia packs him a little going away bag with his favorite blankie, his beloved Rojas-Knotts family photo album, and his plush toy monkey we gave him for his birthday.
He's not phased by the cab ride. The social worker is with us, so he feels safe. We spend the day at the apartment and it's grounds with him and the social worker. She observes and takes notes on the place. Boy do I wish I was in my own home right now. I'm not at home here.
She is impressed by the child gate we have already put in the front door-way. It works on pressure, so no screws into the wall. It has a small door that Annie has learned to open and close so she can play in the courtyard playground. Our apartment is on the second floor and the railings are very wide apart on the balcony...very dangerous for a curious little boy. Hence, the gate.
At lunch time she likes the meal I have prepared...chicken and vegetable stew with a side of rice. Fruit for desert. Coincidently, grandma called while she was there. It was nice for her to see how much lovin' grandma was skyping over (is that even a word?). Thanks grandma!
The day went better than I expected. I'm not sure what Jim expected. I thought he would cry all day, (Alejandro, not Jim...ha-ha!). We had our rough moments, but we muddled through and keep reassuring him with all we can give.
He loves the river behind the apartment! It's his first seeing a river. It's become my crutch. If he's inconsolable, I carry him over to the window to see the river. It calms him almost instantly. Whew.
He napped well, ate fairly well, played some. Mostly looks nervous and unsure. He wants to carry his blankie everywhere, which I know he does not do at Ossitos. That's ok. If it makes him feel better, he can have it. It'll just get washed a lot.
Bedtime routine for Annie, after having bathed, brushed, finished homework, and read a book with us, she watches a half hour of cartoons. Definitely new for him. I'm damaging this kid already. When I brought out his pajamas, he made a mad dash for the doorway. He wasn't having it. "No way am I spending the night here" his little tears said. That's where family time with the video helped. Again, whew.
Gotta go get some rest. Goodnight!
Lisandra,
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.