Saturday, January 30, 2010

Day 8

Bronchitis!  That's what poor little Annalise has.  Her cold kept getting worse all afternoon Thursday and all day Friday.  She had a low grade fever of 100.  We kept her home from school.  The symptoms didn't seem to subside with children's tylenol nor motrin.  A couple of warm showers helped clear her out with steam.  I'd maxed her out with children's sudafed and robitussin.  Nothing. 

The owner of the apartments offerred to call a doctor, but earlier in the day I thought this would get better with tincture of time, fluids and what I was giving her.  It was obvious by 4pm, that it wasn't going to happen.  She was a little lump on the couch and wouldn't take anything to eat nor drink.  All day she had a little chicken broth and water, but nothing else.  I even tried to bribe with her favorite mac and cheeze, but nope. 

Jim had been nursing us both all day.  Me with  my horrible stomach cramps that doubled me over mid sentence over and over again.  Her with her bad cold and now congested cough.

I went to the office and the staff member offerred to call a local doctor they know that sees their clients.  He comes highly recommended.  He charges $30 for an office visit and $35 for a house call....a...house...call???   Which would I like...uuuuummmmm...I'll...take...the...house...call?

Now I realize that $30 is a lot of money for your average person here.  But that's about what I pay for a copay back home for a specialist anyway...and I don't have to drag a sick child in a cab to the office.

He arrived a half hour later.  He is a Family Practitioner, and although I speak Spanish, he is fluent in English as well.  He convinces Annalise to let him examine her.  He is quite good with her offering conversation of many things trying to distract her.  I told him (out of her earshot on his arrival) that she is terrified of doctors.  She's not thrilled but before his arrival I managed to convince her with the understanding that if she doesn't let him examine her, she can't get medicine, and she won't be able to go outside to play all weekend, nor take a walk with us for ice cream.  Not to mention the yucky teas again.  That finally does it.

He examines her and says she has bronchitis!  OMG!  Poor baby.  No wonder she is so miserable.  He is thorough in his exam and questions about her medical history, and prescribes her Zithromax.  He also prescribes me something for my stomach cramps, which I am still having while he is here. 

I muster up enough energy to walk to the pharmacy 2 blocks away. I take Alejandro with me, to give Jim a break, and to take him for a stroll in his umbrella stroller that we brought with us.  We didn't know if it be used at all, but it only cost us $15 so if we had to dump it, or give it away, we were OK with that.  Come to find out, he loves the stroller ride.  Doesn't want to come out of it at the pharmacy during the 40 minute wait we had.  I have to cross the main road.  Two lanes on each side of crazy traffic that does not stop nor slow down for pedestrians.  Cars have the right of way, not pedestrians.  I feel like I'm putting my life on the line every time I cross the street.  I'm not used to this.

The pharmacy is in a pretty swanky looking strip mall that has medical offices.  From the looks of the place and the cars parked outside, I can tell this is not your average pharmacy.  Inside, you go to the security guard, the guy with the flack vest and gun, and get a number from him.  Then wait.  Most stores I go to have a guard of some kind.  All have a weapon of some sort.  You have to wonder how much training they receive.  Not willing to find out, though.

I come back to Annie with a 102 fever and looking worse.  The antibiotics are right on time.  Thank you God for house calls.  I have to wonder that if I had been home and taken her to my usual pediatrician, if they would have given the usual, "Yep, she has a fever.  Keep doing what your doing and if she still has a fever in two days, come back.  We don't prescribe antibiotics unless absolutely necessary."  Yes, been there before.  Scary on the parent end.  She might have had pneumonia by then.

Earlier, at 3:30, the social worker paid us a visit, in the midst of this.  She was happy and I was shocked to see, that Alejandro paid her very little attention.  He smiled at her but kept on with business as usual with Daddy and Sissy.  He didn't cry when she left, and she didn't even have to sneak out.  I was floored!  She says he passed the test.  He is bonding with his new family. 

I asked her why he doesn't cling to her anymore.  It's only been 2 days.  I expected him to cry when he saw her and cling to her.  I figured he might feel relief seeing a familiar face that perhaps was going to take him back to the Tias.  But, not so!  How can this be, so soon?  She says, he feels the love, security and attention that he is receiving from the family.  He feels secure enough with us that he doesn't feel he needs to return.  And that even at his tender little age, he has some understanding of what a family should be, and he wants one.

Wow.  Unbelievable.  I thought I knew what there is to know about toddler adoption, but obviously, Alejandro will be teaching us many lessons to come.

Love,
Lisandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.