When we went to see Alejandro, he smiled shyly when he saw us. The tias told him to give us a hug and he did. We were allowed and encouraged to give him all his care...feeding, changing, bathing etc. One tia that is there a few days a week was new to us. She is obviously his favorite. When the tias arrive for change of shift, the kids go squeeling toward their arrival with open arms for hugs and snuggles. It's sooooo adorable. The tias freely give it.
The one tia, whom I'll call "C" did not make eye contact with me. Ever. She spoke and encouraged Alejandro's interaction with us, but she'never looked directly at me. I don't take it personal. I understand completely. I am taking her heart away. It's bittersweet.
I get to give Alejandro his bath. Two reasons: one of course is to have personal time with him, but also important is to see him unclothed from head to toe. I had read that I should do that, but I had forgotten. The social worker initiated it. I'm so glad. So much to remember, and such a tiny brain I have.
We left at naptime to pick up Annie from school. We asked a taxi driver to drive us from the children's home cross town to the school, take us to get Annie's school uniforms, get a quick lunch at the mall (and might I add it's a pretty kick-a_ _ mall. Then back to the home. Almost three hours...$17. Can't beat that. I'm sure that was even the tourist price.
Spent the rest of the afternoon with him. Annie tries so hard to get his attention and play with him, but he's not much interested at this point. She is so patient and gentle with him. I'm so proud of my little girl. She wore her school uniform from the store, because...why the heck wouldn't you when you are five. The tias then dressed Alejandro in a matching shirt that he already has, with the same school name. It had been donated by the same uniform store. Instant twinsies.
We took him to play outside so we could get some alone time with him. He does better when we're alone with him. The social worker told us that it is best to take him tomorrow for the day, and if all goes even moderately well, that we should keep him. She says the if continue to be around him with the tias in arms reach, he will not learn that we are his authority figures, and not the tias. He will keep us at arms length and learn that we are not as important as the tias. In his little world we aren't yet, but we will be.
When we return, they have set up the room for a birthday party. His house mates, and kids from other houses are invited. Many special needs kids arrive. There are many there, in addition to the healthy toddlers. I haven't added that there are 15 volunteers from the OSSO foundation on the grounds. If you look up the OSSO Foundation, you can learn about their program. I can tell you more another time.
Back to the party. So we sing happy birthday in both Spanish and English in honor of his future home. The tias both start to ball. I can hardly keep it together. It's a cry-fest. What a party. It is heartwrentching for them to let him go. They have been told that tomorrow will most likely be their last morning with him. How can they stand it?
Tia C writes him a lovely note and gives us her contact information. I will keep that note for him forever. I gave them hugs and assured him that he is coming to a good home and a good family. No, not good, great. I tell them more about us, our family, friends, home, neighborhood, church, schools, you name it. They ask many questions which I am more than happy to answer. Anything to help them feel better about him leaving.
They share with me some recipes a-la "grandmother". In otherwords, nothing measured...a little of this and a little of that, and I'm supposed to be able to dupicate it. Ha! But, boy I'm sure gonna try. Especially his favorite no-bake oatmeal cookies. I'm all for that, since I presently have no oven, just a stove top. They eat extremely healthy.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.