Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 45- Busy, Busy Days!

So much has happened in the last few days. 

Friday was Annie's last day of school in Cuenca.  She is very excited about going home, but is very sad to leave her school and apartment friends. Her school planned a great farewell day for her.  Alejandro and I went to join in on the festivities.  Her teacher planned a going away party in the classroom, and all the kids took turns telling Annie how much they liked her and would miss her.  Even the class bully gave her a flower he brought from home.

They gave her a going away scrapbook complete with her picture and a class picture taken that morning.  The teacher had the kids make handprints for her, so she would remember them.  They all also made cards for her, and the teacher made her a beautiful present, a fairy doll.

That afternoon, we went to Ossitos for our farewell there.  It was sad to look around the grounds, the kids, the workers and the apartment Alejandro had known all his life one last time.  I'd like to think that we will come back to visit one day, when Ando is older and ready.  The faces of the children of course will be different, for our hopes are that their forever familie's will find them soon too. 

We were excited to hear that his housemate and buddy, "V" has found a family.  She is soooooo beautiful, a real doll-baby, and sooooo smart.  Although none of the kids speak much yet at age two, she is the one that catches on to words most quickly.  She brought me a book of animals that I could read to her.  She repeated the names of most of the animals I said, and always did the sign for them.  So cute with her chubby little hands.  She has a mild hearing abnormality, but hears conversation very well and annunciates as well as the other two-year-olds.  Seriously, I wanted to bring her home too (but I would never have been able to), so I'm very happy to know a family will be so fortunate to call her a daughter.

I told the staff I had met "JA's" Italian family and that he looked to be very well loved and taken care of.  I'm sure already knew that, but it's always nice to hear from someone else.  JA is already learning to say Italian words.  My litlle guy is also starting to bloom with his vocabulary, both English and Spanish.  Communication is much easier than it was a month ago.  We're going to keep working on it.

Saturday, the Italian family came to the apartment for a brief visit and brought along a second Italian family that they travelled here with, both to complete their adoptions. They all had their Audiencias a week after I did, and are still waiting for the judge to sign the Sentencia. Ugh! I'm glad for the stage we are finally at. It's all relative, because I'd be glad to be home by now too.  Ando this time was very happy to see JA and hugged and kissed him.  JA looked happy too.  Aaaaaawwwwe.  We all took a long walk to the town center indoor market and their kids pooped out.  We parted with the intention of keeping in touch.  We've already traded pictures and emails.  V lights up, claps and giggles whenever she sees us visit with Alejandro.  I hope her family will be interested in the same ;-)

Annie, Ando and I then continued another two, very crowded and narrow blocks to the indoor craft market to pick up a present for her buddy James here.  Ten minutes later I received a call from the family that is completing their adoption from Riobamba.  They were only two blocks away from us so we caught up to eachother.  Their son is another cutie, school-aged and sharp as a tack!  He's learned English at his children's home.  It's owned by a Canadian family.

We spent the afternoon outside after Ando's nap, in the play area in our apartments.  It was a good rest spot for the dad who had been walking around all day, and frequently carrying his new son.  Annie enjoyed having a new play friend and James enjoyed having a boy his age to play with...he's been playing with a girl for the past 6 1/2 weeks.  I had told them about the Italian families I had met, and they had only missed them by ten minutes.  We all went out for pizza (yes, pizza in Ecuador) with our neighbors, who then drove the other family home to Banos.  Very thoughtful of them. 

Sunday, I opted for a quiet day at "home".  I spent the morning outside, once again, with the kids.  Ando likes getting right in there with the other two.  In the afternoon, we had a repeat visit from the Riobamba family.  Resting was never so exhausting, keeping up with the four kids.  Good times, though. 

Today, Monday, I've been packing all day.  I sent so much stuff home, how is it I still have "stuff"!  We're leaving for Guayaquil tomorrow, hopefully with Article 23 letter in hand.  There was a delay in receiving it (so what else is new) from the Big Kahoona in Quito.  Our rep spent all day Thursday and Friday in Quito, rallying for all three American families to be issued their letters.  We need that letter to take with us to the Embassy in Guayaquil to complete the process for his Visa.  Presumably, we should have received our letters on Friday.

Luckilly, we have a few days cushion before our flight home.  In theory, this should all work out.  The reality isn't always the same.  Wish us luck, and those of you who pray, please pray for our return home on Friday.

Much Love,
Lisandra.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.