Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 41, A Wonderfully Fabulous Day

Oh my gosh, but what a beautifully fabulous day, and it's only half over. The weather is gorgeous, about 72 degrees. Yesterday, we went to get Alejandro's Ecuadorian identity card changed to his new last name. Come to find out, no one EVER changes a minor's name on the card in Cuenca, usually only women who marry and change their name. Makes sense. The office had to call the main office in Quito to fly over the appropriate forms on the noon flight so we could get this done. They called our rep at 1:30 to say it was in, and off we were after Annie came home from school at 2pm.

The rep had gone ahead at 1:30pm with Alejandro to the office to get started on the process. She had a 5:30 pm flight booked to Quito so she can complete what process is necessary for us there. She absolutely needed certified color copies of the identity card to take with her. Apparently, there is a Dragon Lady there too, and I did not hear that from the rep, for the record. Fortunately, I don't have to go. She's going to fend that one for me. How do you thank a person like this that does so much for the good of your family? I certainly don't know.

One hour later, we were out of there with the new card, handsome picture inserted and tiny figerprint in the "signature" box. Next, to the Notary Public to complete the "Permission to Leave the Country With a Minor" form. Another hour later, we were out of there and in the middle of Historical Cuenca, a beautiful part of the city. I knew the choice spot for ice cream was and that was our next stop. Annie had been so patient waiting through all this, at least, as patient as a five year old could be. Thank goodness I always pack snacks in my bag, no matter how long or short I think a day will be.

Next, we walked around Parque Calderon, a beautiul square in the center of town. The kids picked flowers, chased birds, awed at dogs, and ran their sillies off. Cab ride home, because although it's about a mile and a half, it would feel like 20 miles carrying a hefty two year old. I love riding in the car in the city. I always enjoy seeing it that way. I wish I had a car here, but without the crazy traffic. Too much to ask?

Today, the second attorney here, the one that represented us at the Audiencia with the judge, picked us up at 7:45 after Annie was off to school...which BTW, she's in trouble...according to my neighbor, she left this morning with a man in a "white SUV" to school. Now, the bus driver owns a white SUV and the bus looks to be on it's last legs, so he could have picked up the kids that way instead. The bus was already 25 minutes late so it was possible. Also, a mom of one of Annie's classmates owns a white SUV and has dropped her daughter off to the front of our apartment so she can pick up the bus with Annie. ??? SO WHO THE H--- DID MY BABY LEAVE WITH THIS MORNING???

I was forced to give it 10 minutes and then call the school to ask, "WTF???". The office lady immediately went to get Annie and within seconds had Annie on the phone for me.

Sooooooo, except for the 10 minutes of sheer terror, IT'S BEEN A BEAUTIFULLY WONDERFUL DAY :-D

Ok, back to the good parts...Immigration office for the passport...soooooo damn happy that the reps know their way around these offices and the beaurocracy. We were first in line, first to be attended, first out of there...again, with cute picture inserted and tiny fingerprint for the signature.

We're done in Cuenca! I'm not sure who was more excited, the rep or me. He was genuinely so happy to see our process here come to an end, and Alejandro go to a good home. He immediately called our primary rep to tell her we were done. She's in Quito as I said, although she lives in Cuenca. She spends a lot of time away from her own family, to help the families of others.

And now for the highlight of my day!!! I'm so excited I don't know where to begin..paused 'cause I couldn't even type...As I mentioned very early in my lengthy blog posts that some of Alejandro's housemates also already had families that were in the process and soon to pick them up. I was elated, and yet sadenned. Elated that some of those beautiful children were also going to have a family soon, and sadenned because Alejandro would likely never see them again.

I asked the social worker at OSSO how would it be possible to be in touch with the other families. I told her to please give my contact info to any of the families that came to pick up their children, if they were interested at all. These kids were Alejandro's first brothers and sisters and who would have the heart to keep them apart, if there were ways possible to know eachother in the future? Certainly, not I.

As we were driving down the street from Immigration, we drove by a famiy that struck my eye. They caught my attention because the parents were very blonde, and the child was, obviously, not. He looked like my handsome little guy. So I said to the attorney/rep and his secretary in the car, "Hey, that was an adoptive family too. What are the chances of that?". Our car stopped for a light and I kept peering my head out the window, to the point of a neck cramp to take a look at the cute little guy. I can't pass one up. Fortunately, it was a long light, and I recognized that it was "JA" , one of Alejandro's house mates!!! I started yelling, "Hola JA" which of course got his parent's attention. "HOLA!!!! Aqui esta Alejandro!!! Hola!!!" I waved Alejandro's hand for him, because he had no idea what was going on. The couple recognized the rep (he's their rep too, although they are a family from Italy). They caught on and started waving back and blowing kisses! JA recognized Alejandro and was notably very excited to see him. It was so amazing!

I'm sorry, but what are the chances that they would be on that street, at that moment, where I would notice them? Those of you who know me well know I have a very strong faith in God. This was his hand at work. I had wished and prayed for them, and there they were. Thank you God for loving me, and most importantly, loving my son.

I gave the rep my contact info and asked the rep to give it to them when he next saw them. He gave me their cell phone number...they're not too polititcally correct about that kind of thing here. I called them and they were equally as exctied to hear from me as I was to speak with them. We agreed to meet midmorning at Parque de las Madres (Mother's Park). HOW BEAUTIFUL!

I recognized them instantly, as they were the only other couple with a stroller. Women here carry their children everywhere, for very long distances. Strollers are considered too expensive. I must be seen as whimp because I don't carry my 27 pound two year old for miles at a time. Sometimes, ok, frequently, you see the mom with the child in a sling on her back, then carrying full gigantic bags or baskets in her hands. They all walk with a hunch, and walk very fast. I LOVE my $15, el cheapo umbrella stroller. It's not always easy to use on the cobblestone streets of Cuenca, but it's always easier to use than not. It's also handy for hanging market bags full of fruits and vegetables. But, I digress...

We, the adults, had a wonderful get together. Somewhere between the moderate amount of Spanish they spoke, and the small amount of Italian I remember from being stationed in Aviano for three years, we had a spectacular time. I don't know if you call it "Itangnol" or "Spataliano", but you get the picture. God is good.

Alejandro was none-too-happy to see his little buddy. I don't get it. JA was thrilled to see Alejandro, but not the other way around. My little guy really withdraws when I interact with people he doesn't know. He fluorishes with the people he's gotten to know, like our neighbors and the staff here though. That's promising. It just takes him time. Jim and I always say, "I hate to wish my life away, but...", but I would love to fast forward to one year from now. It's a passing feeling.

I showed them to lunch at the nearby Millenium Mall. They were so interested in keeping in touch with us, that I knew, this had to be the hand of God. We shopped for some presents and caught two cabs home. Alejandro then cried as soon as their cab pulled away. I felt so sorry. It broke my heart, as I'm sure it did his. He actually did want to be near his friend, he just hadn't shown it until then. Ohhhhh.

Well, I didn't mean to put a damper of an end to a beautifully wonderful day. My darling daughter is home right now, and was just in time to speak to Daddy via skype. I'm so lucky. Really.

Life is Good.

Love,

Lisandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.